Point Pinos Lighthouse Collection

Whitewashed Point Pinos Lighthouse from the back with out-building, fence, and hitching post. Hatted man in yard. According to Lighthouse Historian Jerry McCaffery, Allen Luce was the lighthouse keeper at the time, and Luce's records indicate that the entire building was whitewashed by October 20, 1891. Pat Hathaway notes that this photo is probably the work of C.W.J. Johnson, Tuttle's photography mentor.
Close-up of whitewashed Point Pinos Lighthouse from the back with out-building, fence, and hitching post. According to Lighthouse Historian Jerry McCaffery, Allen Luce was the lighthouse keeper at the time, and Luce's records indicate that the entire building was whitewashed by October 20, 1891. Pat Hathaway notes that this photo is probably the work of C.W.J. Johnson, Tuttle's photography mentor.
Far shot of Point Pinos Lighthouse from the back gate. Flagpole at center, and several large outbuildings to right. At far right, loaded cart visible. Tuttle's daughter stands in unpaved road.
Far shot of Point Pinos Lighthouse from the back gate. Flagpole at center, and several large outbuildings to right. At far right, loaded cart visible.
North side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing filtered view of light tower through trees.
North side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, close-up from ground level, showing flower bed of calla lilies.
North side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, framed by tree branches.
3/4 view of north & east sides of Point Pinos Lighthouse.
Close-up of west (seaward) side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing entry porch and light tower.
Close-up of mid section of east side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing small shelf and exhaust pipe on lean-to section, and coiled hose hanging on light tower.
West (seaward) side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, obscured by row of large shrubs (aka Emily Fish's hedge).
Far shot of east (back) of Point Pinos Lighthouse, taken from garden of Coast Guard house garden. Shows rock-lined roadway, picket fence, and garden in foreground.
Close-up of Point Pinos Lighthouse light tower, showing lion ornament at top of window, and Fresnel lens. The lions are not just decorative; pipes in their mouths direct water away from the tower dome.
Close-up of Point Pinos Lighthouse light tower, showing ornamental cutwork at top, two ornamental lion heads at corners, and handles on window frames. The lions are not just decorative; pipes in their mouths direct water away from the tower dome.
Interior of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing bare room with fireplace. Early index #: 813 Box/CD: 38.1 Orientation: Horizontal
Interior of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing bare room with fireplace.
Interior of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing spiral staircase leading to light tower.
Interior of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing Museum of Natural History's then-Director Vern Yadon descending spiral staircase.
Interior of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing chief petty officer climbing from spiral stairs to light tower.
View from light tower (lantern room) of Point Pinos Lighthouse, looking over Pacific Grove Municipal Golf Links towards Monterey Bay. Rail and round rail ornament of light tower in foreground.
Interior of Point Pinos Lighthouse tower (lantern room), showing fixed third-order Fresnel lens. Peek of cloth drape at left, view though window at right.
Interior of Point Pinos Lighthouse tower (lantern room), showing fixed third-order Fresnel lens. Peek of cloth drape at left, view though window at right.
Interior of Point Pinos Lighthouse tower (lantern room), showing close-up of fixed third-order Fresnel lens and inner eclipser mechanism.
Interior of Point Pinos Lighthouse tower (lantern room), with Coast Guard chief petty officer looking at lens. Coast Guard housing visible in background.
Interior of Point Pinos Lighthouse tower (lantern room), with Coast Guard chief petty officer (partially obscured by lens) leaning on tower wall. Coast Guard housing visible in background.
Interior of Point Pinos Lighthouse tower (lantern room), with Coast Guard chief petty officer leaning on tower wall. Coast Guard housing visible in background.
Interior of Point Pinos Lighthouse tower (lantern room), with Coast Guard chief petty officer looking up at lens.
nterior of Point Pinos Lighthouse tower (lantern room), with Coast Guard chief petty officer looking up at lens.
Interior of Point Pinos Lighthouse tower (lantern room), showing eclipser assembly mechanism inside Fresnel lens.
Interior of Point Pinos Lighthouse tower (lantern room), showing close-up of bulbs through Fresnel lens.
Interior of Point Pinos Lighthouse tower (lantern room), showing two bulbs inside Fresnel lens.
Coast Guard navigational machinery in basement of Point Pinos Lighthouse.
Coast Guard navigational machinery in basement of Point Pinos Lighthouse.
Point Pinos Lighthouse historian Jerry McCaffery identifies this as Point Sur Light keeper Thomas Henderson, working on the incandescent oil vapor light, probably inside the first-order Fresnel lens at Point Sur. The lens has a large bull's-eye center. It was moved to the Monterey Maritime Museum in 1978, where it remains on exhibit. Photo from National Archives.
Copy of letter from Secretary of the Treasury James Guthrie (dated January 4, 1856) sent to Mrs. Charlotte A Layton, appointing her keeper of the Point Pinos Lighthouse. Her husband had served as the Lighthouse's first keeper, from 1853-1855, and Charlotte took over upon his death, serving as keeper from 1856-1860.
Seaward (west) front of Point Pinos Lighthouse obscured by hedge, surrounded by open-slat fence. Two women in large hats pose in front of arched picket gate, near a cannon. Donor Muriel Pyburn's note accompanying the image reads: "This snapshot was probably taken between 1902 and 1909. At that time, my mother's family lived in San Jose and every summer some of the girls in the family came to Pacific Grove to spend vacation time. Note that some of the plants in front of the fence have wire "cages" around them, that the ladies (unknown) are standing by the canon. Is that the barn at the right of the picture? Here is the cypress hedge planted by Mrs. Fish."
Hand-tinted lithograph showing Point Pinos Lighthouse from back (east). Shows unpainted south wall with one window, open-slat fence extending around west (seaward) side, picket fence around back (east) side, wooden lean-to addition at back extends to south wall, outbuilding to north with windmill and ladder leaning, doghouse in front of shed.
Same image as #835. Hand-tinted lithograph showing Point Pinos Lighthouse from back (east). Shows unpainted south wall with one window, open-slat fence extending around west (seaward) side, picket fence around back (east) side, wooden lean-to addition at back extends to south wall, outbuilding to north with windmill and ladder leaning, doghouse in front of shed. Condition note: Torn at top left corner. "Pacific Grove Calif" written in fountain pen along right edge.
Point Pinos Lightouse shown from unpaved tree-framed road, looking at southeast view. South wall has window added about 1900, and two outbuildings are (from left) carpenter's shop and worker's quarters.
Point Pinos Lightouse shown from unpaved tree-framed road, looking at southeast view. South wall has window added about 1900, and two outbuildings are (from left) carpenter's shop and worker's quarters.
Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing east side from unpaved road (which is being crossed by chicken). South chimney has beehive-shaped pipe, and there is a wood box just east of the chimney.
Point Pinos Lighthouse, shot from above. Shows perspective looking across east (back) side of building, with dormer windows (added c. 1937) and light tower. View across Pacific Grove Golf Links and Monterey Bay in background.
Point Pinos Lighthouse from west (seaward, front) side, partially obscured by thick hedge. Surrounded by open-slat fence with picket gate. Cannon sits to left of gate.
3/4 view of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing southeast corner of building. M-shaped chimney caps on both sides, as well as freestanding pipe with same M-shaped cap. Postcard marked "801 Lighthouse Pacific Grove, Calif. Garden in back of Lighthouse surrounded by chicken wire . Also visible in area to left of Lighthouse: fountain, table, birdcage, and chair.
Artwork of Point Pinos Lighthouse by Ferdinand Bergdorf (1881-1975), showing building's northeast side.
Southeast 3/4 view of Point Pinos Lighthouse shows M-shaped chimney caps, dormer windows, mast-like flagpole, and T.V. antenna to north of building. Also includes small cinder-block structure at far left side of image.
Captain & Mrs. Peter C. Nelson stand on the lawn behind the Point Pinos Lighthouse. Eagle atop flagpole, freestanding pipe with same "M" configuration as chimneys.
East side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing coiled hose on light tower rail. German shepherd dog sits near back door, and path is lined with white-washed rocks.
Northeast 3/4 view of Point Pinos Lighthouse showing ice plant in foreground. Lighthouse has two supplemental pipes in back, in addition to two M-shaped chimney caps. Grounds are surrounded by open-slat fencing; arrow points to right on picket gate. Light is shielded by curtain, and tower has antenna and lightning rod.