Point Pinos Lighthouse Collection

Front or seaward (northwest) view of Point Pinos. Building is partially obscured by hedge with large trunks, behind open-slat fence. M-shaped chimney caps, antenna on light tower, and watchroom window are visible. Flagpole at left side of image.
Front or seaward (northwest) view of Point Pinos. Building is partially obscured by hedge with large trunks, behind open-slat fence. M-shaped chimney caps and watch room window are visible. Top of light tower cut off.
Close-up of back (southeast) side of Point Pinos Lighthouse. Stool on lawn, white object in foreground. Freestanding pipe in back, partially obscured by succulent plant. Back garden surrounded by dark fencing.
East (back) side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing whitewashed stones lining road in foreground. This tree-framed image was made by then-Director of Pacific Grove Museum of Natural History, Vern Yadon.
East (back) side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, partially obscured by hedge, showing dormer windows, M-shaped chimney caps, and antenna on light tower.
Seaward (west) side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing antenna on light tower, flag at half-staff, M-shaped chimney caps, thick hedge with arched foliage over dark picket gate surrounded by whitewashed open-slat fencing.
Single photo from stereo card shows southeast side of Point Pinos Lighthouse. Unpainted walls indicate it is before may, 1892, when Light keeper Allen Luce recorded whitewashing the walls. Lean-to in back was extended to south (left) wall c. 1890. Back door has rounded arch top. Lot is surrounded by combination of slat and picket fence. Man standing on light tower may be Allen Luce. Also have copy negative.
Photo with arched matting shows southeast side of unpainted Point Pinos Lighthouse, surrounded by open-slat fencing. Back door of lean-to has pointed arch top. Dog house sits in front of small out-building at right side of image. Part of wooden horse-tethering rail at right side of image.
Point Pinos Lighthouse postcard shows building's southeast side from road. Surrounded by open-slat fencing, building has second window on south (left) side added c. 1900, full lean-to in back (completed c. 1907), two outbuildings, and flagpole. South chimney has tall pipe.
East side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing streamlined garden area.
Postcard of back of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing a structure to the left (south) of the building. A T.V. antenna is also visible on the right side of the tower, and the chimney caps have M-shaped caps. Directional sign sits in foreground, where there is no iceplant.
Aerial of Lighthouse Reservation and surrounding area, including NOAA building, barracks, and Coast Guard quarters.
Aerial of Lighthouse Reservation and surrounding area, including El Carmelo Cemetery and Coast Guard quarters.
Aerial of Lighthouse Reservation and surrounding area, including barracks, Coast Guard quarters, part of the Pacific Grove Municipal Golf Links, and El Carmelo Cemetery, including Little Chapel by the Sea.
Point Pinos Lighthouse from the seaward side, showing ice plant in foreground, and barracks.
Outbuilding near Point Pinos Lighthouse.
Far shot of Coast Guard quarters at Point Pinos Lighthouse Reservation, showing surrounding picket fence and stone-lined road.
Two men on sidewalk at outbuildings at Point Pinos Lighthouse Reservation.
Coast Guard barracks at Point Pinos Lighthouse Reservation, showing parked cars and four people.
Two men in well-worn work uniforms stand with hands on hips. At right with glasses is Lighthouse Keeper William Frederick Wilkinson. Man at right in cap is second assistant. More information (including letters and oral transcript) in Lighthouse file.
3/4 length portrait of Captain Peter C. Nelson in Lighthouse Keeper uniform & hat. He leans against a chicken-wire fence, with foliage and building in background.
Captain & Mrs. Peter C. Nelson stand in the garden adjacent to the Point Pinos Lighthouse. Large dahlia in foreground.
Assistant Light Keeper (from 1939-1953) George Petersen and Viola Petersen near house on Lighthouse Reservation. He wears uniform with sailor cap and she wears a short-sleeve patterned dress. They stand at a chicken-wire fence.
Assistant Light Keeper (from 1939-1953) George Petersen and Viola Petersen near house on Lighthouse Reservation. He wears uniform with tie & lighthouse keeper hat and she wears a dark suit. They stand at a chicken-wire fence with buildings in background.
Lookout located adjacent to the Lighthouse. Far shot with foliage in foreground, camouflaged building in background.
Inside of observation area of Lookout located adjacent to the Lighthouse.
Three people pose for camera in front of trees. From left: older man, woman, younger officer in uniform.
Far shot with foliage in foreground, camouflaged building in background, with approximately 20 people standing at base of tower and three people leaning on railing of viewing level.
Far shot with foliage in foreground, camouflaged building in background, with approximately 20 people standing at base of tower and three people leaning on railing of viewing level.
Fog signal building with siren on top, surrounded by chain link fence with barbed wire on top. Boulders in foreground, ocean in background.
Workroom with two workmen. Fresnel lens on workbench--presumably where Point Pinos Light was manufactured.
Map of Point Pinos originally from 1851, by E. Gilman, draughtsman & A.D. Bache, supervisor. Revised on October 10, 1871 by L.H. Beard. Section X, U.S. Coast Survey 1/10,000 scale. Original in the National Archives. Museum also has negative.
Floor plan drawing of Point Pinos Lighthouse. Original in the National Archives. Shows three levels: attic, parlor & porch, cellar. Also have negative.
Elevation drawing of Point Pinos Lighthouse (also Point Loma and Santa Barbara. Filed 1854. Original in the National Archives. Shows three levels: attic, parlor & porch, cellar. Also have negative.
Copy of primitive drawing of the Point Pinos Lighthouse. Original in the National Archives (photo # 26-LG-56-96. Shows lighthouse surrounded by haystacks, grazing animals.
Entry gate to Point Pinos Lighthouse Reserve. Arched wooden sign over entry reads, "United States Coast Guard / Point Pinos." Sign with station visiting hours posted on left wooden support. Road leading to Lighthouse and the building itself are also visible.
Front (seaward, west) view of the Point Pinos Lighthouse, with hedge obscuring first floor. Surrounded by open-slat fence.
Unpaved road leading to Lighthouse (not visible) surrounded by trees and open-slat fencing. Looks like railroad crossing sign in background.
M.V. Alexia, a British flag tanker of the Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co. Ltd. (Shell Oil). The ship is starting for the Golden Gate and heading for the open sea. Within 7 or 8 hours, she will be passing Point Pinos, en route to Curacao in the West Indies. This vessel performed great service during WWII. (Annotation derived from a letter from the photographer, Malcolm Steel, who acted as ship's agent.)
Star of Lapland of the Alaska Packers Association. Built in Glasgow, Scotland under the British flag during the 1880s, this ship plied the waters off of Point Pinos in the course of its Pacific Coast runs. Photo taken at San Francisco by Malcolm Steel, who identified the image with the help of Allen Knight.
S.S. Frank Buck, off of the Oregon coast. Photo taken at sea by Malcolm Steel, who wrote this annotation in a 1969 letter to Museum Director Vern Yadon: "Along about 1908, the Associated Oil Co. (I believe owned by the Southern Pacific Co.) constructed a pipeline from Coalinga in the San Joaquin Valley, to New Monterey. The line terminated at a tank farm on the shoreline east of where Cannery Row stands. During the 1920s, lightening struck the tanks and as a result they were destroyed by fire. As a matter of future safety, the tanks were reconstructed on the sand dunes at the Retreat, where they stood until a year or two ago. However, the Coalinga/Monterey pipe line was discontinued long before. Among the tankers calling at New Monterey was the Frank Buck." See images 886, 887, and 889 for more photos of the Frank Buck by this photographer.
Associated Oil Co.'s tanker Frank Buck after colliding with the American President's Line S.S. Hoover near Lands End (near the Cliff House) in San Francisco Bay. The accident took place in thick fog, and during a tugboat strike, and both ships sank. Coincidentally, the Frank Buck came to rest near her sister ship, Union Oil Co.'s S.S. Lyman Stewart. Portions of that earlier wreck can be seen in the foreground of this image. (Annotation derived from photographer Malcolm Steel's notes.)
Standard Oil Company's tanker Rhoderick Dhu at Monterey with Red Stack tug. Was towed up and down the Pacific coast. (Annotation derived from photographer Malcolm Steel's notes.) Three-masted ship in background.
Last of Associated Oil Co.'s tanker Frank Buck after colliding with the American President's Line S.S. Hoover near Lands End (near the Cliff House) in San Francisco Bay. The accident took place in thick fog, and during a tugboat strike, and both ships sank. Coincidentally, the Frank Buck came to rest near her sister ship, Union Oil Co.'s S.S. Lyman Stewart. Portions of that earlier wreck can be seen in the foreground of this image. (Annotation derived from photographer Malcolm Steel's notes.)
Rhoderick Dhu wrecked at Moss Beach, Pacific Grove (near Asilomar) with surf and kelp in foreground. The ship had been converted from a sailing vessel to oil barge by the Standard Oil Company. Also have negative.
S.S. Cleone on bird rock off of Cabrillo Point (current site of Hopkins Marine Station).
Rhoderick Dhu wrecked at Moss Beach, Pacific Grove (near Asilomar), Monterey Bay, with rocky shoreline in foreground.
Rhoderick Dhu wrecked at Moss Beach, Pacific Grove (near Asilomar), Monterey Bay, with rocky shoreline in 3/4 of foreground. Stump in foreground.
Rhoderick Dhu wrecked at Moss Beach, Pacific Grove (near Asilomar), Monterey Bay, with rocky shoreline in foreground.