Building

Business block of Lighthouse Avenue, street unpaved. From left: elaborate towered house (moved to slightly different location in image #470), T.K. Ray's cigar shop on corner, hardware sign up Grand Ave., laundry. At far left is fence surrounding small park area. Same buildings in # 397 and #398.
Business block on Lighthouse Avenue, street unpaved. Horse-drawn wagon out front of Tuttle's Pharmacy. From left: small board and batten one-story house, elaborate towered house (moved to slightly different location in image #470), T.K. Ray's cigar shop on corner, hardware sign up Grand Avenue, laundry. Same buildings in images #397 and #398.
Interior of Tuttle Drug Store, with Winnifred Tuttle (1893 - 1973) behind counter. The pharmacy was opened on April 18, 1887 at 551 Lighthouse Avenue, and remained in business at the same location for over 50 years. The Tuttle family lived in the large apartment above the pharmacy. Winnifred was the youngest of the three Tuttle children, and served as Pacific Grove's first telephone operator (around the age of 12). She followed in her father, Charles', footsteps, and obtained CA pharmacist license #7726. She married Pacific Improvement Co. real estate executive Andrew Beaumont in 1925. C.K. Tuttle's legs and tripod are reflected in case glass front & center.
Front of C.K. Tuttle's pharmacy on Lighthouse Avenue, before the second floor appartment was added on. Sandwich board, wood sidewalk, taken from inside fence that surrounded small park area. Ad for Dr. John Hood inside.
Floyd Tuttle, baby Gladys sits up in wicker carriage, and Emily Tuttle--in driveway of El Carmelo Hotel. Condition note: Print dark.
Inside back of C.K. Tuttle's pharmacy. Advertising signs for Hoyt's German Cologne, Dr. Jayne's Expectorant, Dr. John Hood (Monterey), C.W.J. Johnson print of PG cottage sits on cabinet. Drug bottles line wall.
The [Mrs. Parmelia] Miller House, 144 Carmel, built in 1886. Four people (three women, one man) sit in cottage garden. Bird cage to left of door; gate has scalloped cutwork top. 20th Annual Victorian Home Tour booklet gives approximate date of similar view of the house as c1890. From 1905-1923, vacation & weekend home of Henry R. Williams, who worked at the US Mint in San Francisco. Condition note: Negative cracked at bottom right, taped at bottom center.
Three children (two boys, one girl) on limb of oak tree just above roof of shingled house. Same children/house in #081, #079, and #411.
Interior of Tuttle Drug Store, with Winnifred Tuttle (1893 - 1973) behind counter. The pharmacy was opened on April 18, 1887 at 551 Lighthouse Avenue, and remained in business at the same location for over 50 years. The Tuttle family lived in the large apartment above the pharmacy. Winnifred was the youngest of the three Tuttle children, and served as Pacific Grove's first telephone operator (around the age of 12). She followed in her father, Charles', footsteps, and obtained CA pharmacist license #7726. She married Pacific Improvement Co. real estate executive Andrew Beaumont in 1925. C.K. Tuttle's legs and tripod are reflected in case glass front & center.
Two-story house with shingled octagonal turret. Address on house is: 506.
Shingle-covered house with address: 220. Firewood stacked on side.
Floyd Tuttle sits on painted toy hobby horse in garden.
Little girl (Gladys Tuttle) in long dotted dress holds Japanese-style parasol in front of father's drug store on Lighthouse Ave.
Toddler pulled on broom by young man. Phoenix Pure Paint sign. In front of Tuttle's Lighthouse Ave. drug store. Condition note: Left edge of negative missing, and emulsion damaged at bottom.
119 Forest Avenue, Wilbur House, built 1885. Two-story house with vines around porch arches. Bay window, Gothic front window, fish-scale siding, roof stripes, sunburst in woodworking at roof peak. Wood plank sidewalk.
Two-story house on Forest Avenue across from Jewell Park, with for sale sign. Woman on front porch; rose vine over house front. "66 TUTTLE" on bottom left of image. Similar house in images #298, #299, #306, #350, #577.
A-framed one-story house with pierced fretwork forming entryway. Same house (from back) in image #073. Condition note: Negative broken at left 1/3.
Two-chimney house with long verandah. House belonged to Tuttle's mother, Jane, and was located at northeast corner of Fountain & Lighthouse avenues. Mrs. Emily Tuttle, baby and toddler on porch. Wicker baby carriage at side. Same building in images #445, #521, #483, and #487.
Interior of St. Mary's by the Sea Episcopal Church, showing wood benches, light flooding through large window behind pulpit, organ off to right in smaller arch.
St. Mary's by the Sea Episcopal Church, looking southeast across Central Avenue.
St. Mary's by the Sea Episcopal Church, looking southeast across Central Avenue.
St. Mary's by the Sea Episcopal Church (built 1887), looking southeast across Central Avenue. Condition note: Remains of arch-shaped mask at top of negative.
Three Tuttle children with toys stand at side of El Carmelo Hotel. From left: Gladys with gun, Winnifred with drum, Floyd with sword.
Suited man with derby hat shown full-length. Stands center front of a metal wire garden "grotto" covered with vines. At top of large garden enclosure is mercury glass (mirrored) sphere that reflects other nearby houses. Sloping hillside at left, picket fence.
SE corner of Union & Pacific. Park Hill Cottage, two-story house with woman on stairs, man in garden. Tents in background. Open space was part of Bodfish Dairy. Streetlight sign reads "Park Hill Cottage 1." Built 1883-4.
Green Gables Inn, also known as Ivy Terrace Hall, William Lacy House, 104 Fifth Street, at Oceanview Blvd. Built 1888. Castle House (Everett Pomeroy, 1883) visible in background.
One-story board & batten cottage belonging to Trimmer family. Was on same site as Trimmer Hill (6th & Laurel avenues). Members of family on porch; baby carriage and Dr. Trimmer at front fence. Patterned window shades, covered entry, long porch. Same building as in image #480.
House interior. Fireplace with circular screen, cross, Tuttle photo of El Carmelo gardens & Lighthouse shops on mantel.
House interior. Fireplace with circular screen, family photos on mantel, photo albums on parlor table.
Lighthouse Avenue, showing corner of El Carmelo Hotel and front garden, Pacific Improvement office (note eyebrow window), and hotel cabins along Grand Avenue. Horse fountain at corner in front of PI office. Pat Hathaway indicates that images #469, #385, and #025 form panorama.
Shot from garden at front of El Carmelo Hotel, showing elaborate towered house at right (located where Lighthouse Cinema is now) at corner of Fountain Avenue. A bit of what is currently Victorian Corner Restaurant peeks through branches of succulent tree-an aloe also known as "Our Lord's Candle" in center of image.
Stores along south side of Lighthouse Avenue, between Grand and Forest avenues. Hall & Wolfe Avenue Store (groceries), D.W. Lloyd General Store, set back house, Pioneer Boot & Shoe Store, E. Cooke Smith real estate / insurance and notary public.
One story board and batten cottage with man out front, woman and baby on porch. Decorative fretwork, stripped roof.
Early view of Gosbey Boarding House at Lighthouse and 18th before round turret tower was added to front. Colonial-style (eagle finial) streetlight reads: "1888 Gosbey House" on glass panes. Two women, one man sit at front. Condition note: Top right corner missing on negative.
Seven Gables, 104 Fountain Avenue, at Oceanview Blvd., with Lovers Point in background. Also known as Page Cottage. Was home to Mrs. Page and later Lucy Chase, benefactress of the Museum. Five women on side porch. Built in 1886. Marked "No. 4" in bottom left corner. Pat Hathaway feels this photograph may be the work of C.W.J. Johnson.
House now at 110 7th St; was on Lighthouse Avenue when photo was taken, according to Pat Hathaway. Three-story house with gabled roof and bay window. Family poses on front porch. One man holds two Yellow headed Amazon parrots.
Stereo view of one-story board & batten cottage belonging to Trimmer family. Built in 1888 and replaced in 1893 by the larger Trimmer Hill. Members of family on porch; baby carriage and Dr. Trimmer at front fence. Patterned window shades, covered entry, long porch. Same building as in image #466.
Board and batten cottage in forest clearing. Lot surrounded by fence. Man out front holds diagonal wire/cord. Pat Hathaway lists as 405 Alder. listed in Pacific Grove: An Early Seaside Retreat Revisited (1978) as Vosburg house--1890 date of construction. Condition note: Negative missing two top corners, left 1/3 split.
Two-story salt-box house. Four people (two men, two women) and dog out front of fence. With eucalyptus trees at street. Pat Hathaway suggests this is house where post office now stands at Lighthouse and Congress avenues, and some of the same trees. Methodist Bishop William Taylor owned the house once at the post office site, and planted gum nuts he carried from Australia.
Two-chimney house with long verandah. Belonged to Tuttle family, and was located at northeast corner of Fountain & Lighthouse avenues. Mrs. Emily Tuttle sits on porch. Taken from side of house. Also shows second house on property. Same building in images #445, #521, #483, and #487.
Two-story house with porch and gabled roofline.
Two houses, one has three-story tower; man stands out front. Probaby on Pacific Street. Colonial-style street light, with eagle finial. Same house in images #485 and #486.
House with three-story tower; man stands out front. Probaby on Pacific Street. Colonial-style street light, with eagle finial. Same house in images #485 and #486.
Two-chimney house with long verandah. Belonged to Tuttle's mother Jane, located at Fountain & Lighthouse avenues. Woman on porch probably Jane Tuttle. Second house in foreground. Same building in images #445, #521, #483, and #487.
Interior of Methodist Church on Lighthouse Ave. strewn with Easter lilies. Pointed arch over stage, wooden seats, small wooden organ or piano on stage. Letters hanging around stage read: "HE SHALL SAVE · HIS PEOPLE · FROM THEIR SINS / BECAUSE I LIVE YE SHALL LIVE ALSO." Cross-shaped flower arrangment on stage.
House interior. Fireplace with large mass of flower arrangements in front. Carved mirror hangs above.
Older man and woman stand near fence in garden of board and batten cottage surrounded by lattice fence. Condition note: Light spot and emulsion damage in center of negative.
Lighthouse Avenue looking toward west, shows horse-drawn street car approaching. Condition note: Large areas of emulsion gone, part of negative missing.
Two houses with verandahs. One of them belonged to Tuttle family, and was located at northeast corner of Fountain & Lighthouse avenues. Condition note: Over 1" missing from left side of negative. Same house(s) in #055, #518, #445, #483, #487, and #521.