Building

Two-chimney house with long verandah. House belonged to Tuttle's mother, Jane, and was located at northeast corner of Fountain & Lighthouse avenues. Mrs. Emily Tuttle, baby and toddler on porch. Wicker baby carriage at side. Same building in images #445, #521, #483, and #487.
Bieghle Haeberling wedding at First Methodist Church on Lighthouse Ave. Bride and groom stand in aisle, 7 others in wedding party stand on church stage. Round arch behind. Two additional males in aisle. Woman plays organ at right. See #523, #545, #579, #580, and #581 for similar subjects.
Crowd of people around President McKinley on Lighthouse Avenue, at Grand Avenue. Pacific Improvement office at left, and cabins from El Carmelo Hotel visible. McKinley stands near water fountain, and his head is bowed, nearby men removing hats. McKinley visited Pacific Grove during the 34th GAR (Grand Army of the Republic) Encampment in 1901. See #537 for a similar view.
Crowd of people around President McKinley on Lighthouse Avenue, at Grand Avenue. Pacific Improvement office at left, and cabins from El Carmelo Hotel visible. McKinley stands near water fountain, at center of image. McKinley visited Pacific Grove during the 34th GAR (Grand Army of the Republic) Encampment in 1901. McKinley moved while photo was taken, blurry. See #536 for a similar view.
Saint Mary's By-the-Sea Episcopal Church. Central Avenue, looking east across corner of Greenwood Park. Board and batten cottage at corner of 13th Street visible.
Congregational Church (aka Mayflower) on Central Avenue (then called Grove St.) at 12th Street, looking southwest. Streetcar rails on unpaved street. This wooden building burnt down in 1910, and was replaced with the stone edifice that now houses Mayflower.
Christian Church at Central near 13th Street, looking northwest. Back of house at 13th & Oceanview Blvd. visible.
Under construction: Congregational Church (aka Mayflower) on Central Avenue at 12th Street-looking southwest. Workmen on scaffolding, sign from "C.I. Burks, Architect, Main Street, Pacific Grove" This wooden building burnt down in 1910, and was replaced with the brick edifice that now houses the Mayflower. Tuttle name printed at bottom left corner.
Interior of First Methodist Church with rounded arch at back of stage. Motto: "Not for self but for all / CLSC / The Altururians" in arch. Adults on stage with Chautauqua banner, piano. Girls in aisle. CLSC stands for "Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle."
Interior of First Methodist Church with rounded arch at back of stage. Motto: "Not for self but for all / CLSC / The Altururians" in arch. Adults on stage with Chautauqua banner, piano. Girls in aisle. CLSC stands for Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle. Condition note: Solarized negative. See #050, #051, #052, #330, #552, #553, #554, #555, #556, #557, #559, and #562 for views of the Public School exterior.
First Methodist Church, which was located on Lighthouse Avenue between 17th & 18th Streets. At the time this photo was taken, E.P. Dennett was Pastor. Construction began in 1888, and the church was dedicated in 1889. The Assembly Hall was used for a variety of purposes, including community events, Chautauqua meetings, and annual Methodist conferences. Condition note: Streaky emulsion in sky, hole in emulsion to left.
Bieghle Haeberling wedding at First Methodist Church on Lighthouse Ave. Bride and groom stand on church stage. See #523, #545, #579, #580, and #581 for similar subjects.
Carnegie Public Library, between Grand & Fountain fronting Central Ave. (then called Grove St.), looking northeast. The Mission/Spanish Colonial-style building was designed by the McDougall Brothers, and built by Henry Chivers and the Granite Rock Company. It opened in 1908. View includes four men on steps.
Pacific Grove Museum: octagon building in front of cabin from El Carmelo, used as annex. View from Central Ave. (formerly called Grove St.), showing Forest Avenue. Men play croquet at side of building. The building originally belonged to the Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle, who used it during their two-week summer events. In July 1900, it (along with the collections held inside) was given to the Museum Association, an organization headed by Mary E.B. Norton. In 1902, the Pacific Improvement Company deeded the half-block and buildings to the Association. In 1932, the current building replaced the original octagonal Chautauqua museum at the same location.
Cottage interior, family poses in front of wood partition. From left: two boys, man with one twin baby on lap, woman with second baby twin on lap. Phonograph horn at left background. Condition note: Dark negative.
From left: Winnifred and Gladys Tuttle in flower bouquet-filled corner of room. Both girls wear dark dresses. Probably in Tuttle apartment above Lighthouse Avenue pharmacy. Same location in images #007 and #549.
Interior of dining room, wood paneling, sideboard filled with crockery, paper lantern light shade, patterned wallpaper, embossed wallpaper wainscoting. Condition note: Very dark image, negative stained.
On Lighthouse Ave. at Forest Ave., Bank of Pacific Grove building, with two men & boy standing out front. From left: bank president Dr. O.S. Trimmer, cashier George Eckhardt, unknown boy. Dentist office of Dr. McQuilkin upstairs. The building was designed by noted architect William H. Weeks. To right stands tent with sign: "Bowling & Box-Ball." Steiner wagon turning west onto Central (then called Grove) Avenue. Looking north down Forest Avenue, towards Lovers Point, is Work building under construction. Condition note: Mottled emulsion around bank door area.
Close-up of front porch area at Public School on Pine Avenue. Looking towards west, with several homes on Pine Ave in background. Columns are wrapped in bunting; women on porch sing or read from pages, Civil War veterans in crowd. Smoke visible at center. See #050, #051, #052, #330, #552, #553, #554, #555, #556, #557, #559, and #562 for views of the Public School exterior. Same event in #552, #555, and #559.
Public School, built 1891, full view looking southwest from Pine Avenue. All grades attended this school, located where Robert Down Elementary now stands. See #050, #051, #052, #330, #552, #553, #554, #555, #556, #557, #559, and #562 for views of the Public School exterior.
Public School, built 1891, full view framed by trees, looking southwest from Pine Avenue. All grades attended this school, located where Robert Down Elementary now stands. See #050, #051, #052, #330, #552, #553, #554, #555, #556, #557, #559, and #562 for views of the Public School exterior.
Close-up of front porch area of Public School on Pine Avenue, looking towards west. Columns are wrapped in bunting. Smoke visible at center of image. Houses on Pine Ave. Condition note: Uneven emulsion throughout. See #050, #051, #052, #330, #552, #553, #554, #555, #556, #557, #559, and #562 for views of the Public School exterior. Same event in #552, #555, and #559.
Public School on Pine Avenue (site of Robert Down). Crowd of citizens out front, group of men in front, looks like teachers (women) on steps. "Tuttle" printed in bottom left corner. Condition note: Holes in emulsion at right side. See #050, #051, #052, #330, #552, #553, #554, #555, #556, #557, #559, and #562 for views of the Public School exterior.
Public School on Pine Avenue. Crowd of citizens out front watching flag-raising ceremony. "Tuttle" printed in bottom right corner. Tuttle served on school board. See #050, #051, #052, #330, #552, #553, #554, #555, #556, #557, #559, and #562 for views of the Public School exterior.
Close-up of front porch area of Public School on Pine Avenue. Columns are wrapped in bunting, with 1492 at right, 1892 at left. From back of original print in Museum collection 6/133: "Presentation to new schoolhouse of flag by GAR. Flag being raised by Mr. Patrick. Mr. Gretter, principal, standing bare-headed with manuscript in hand. Hat off: city clerk (up to 1908) Mr. Patrick J A Bonney--with Union cap, Ely Fisher chaplain of GAR (long beard and whiskers behind lanyards)." 500th anniversary of Columbus discovering America celebration, with flag-raising and Pledge of Allegiance (probably the first time it was recited-was a cross-country event. Crowd raises right hands in salute, which was not replaced with the hands-over-heart gesture until WWII. Same event in #552, #555, and #559.
Interior of school room, 24 young girls, rabbit, basket, calla lilies. Looks like Easter.
Interior school room, math problems on blackboard (name Helen C. Allen written above), stuffed bobcat. Pat Hathaway indicates that Point Lobos historian Monica Hudson's family had early print of same image in their collection with a notation that classroom was in Alexander MacMillan Allan's school at Point Lobos.
Public School from Pine Avenue, looking southeast. See #050, #051, #052, #330, #552, #553, #554, #555, #556, #557, #559, and #562 for views of the Public School exterior.
Stage built over plants in garden out front of El Carmelo Hotel. Bunting and drapery decorations for President McKinley's visit. Also visible, Old Parlor (sign above left door).The Old Parlor building was later rennovated with a Spanish-style facade, and served as the home of Edward F. Ricketts' Pacific Biological Laboratories from 1924-1928. It was then razed for the La Porte furniture/auction house, which now (2004) stands at the corner of Fountain & Ricketts Row.
Looking west down Lighthouse Avenue at Forest Avenue, approximately 20 GAR (Grand Army of the Republic, Union, Civil War) veterans on parade. Street unpaved, streetcar tracks. Culp Bros, N.A. Roth Dry Goods, Golden Rule Bazaar, and other business signs.
Still life: Bristol glass vase with snowball flowers next to open presentation box with large abalone shell. Shell polished to pearl luster, has invitation to GAR encampment printed: "The citizens of Pacific Grove request the presence of President and Mrs. McKinley at the camp fire given in honor of the DEPARTMENT ENCAMPMENT GAR May 11, 1901."
Tuttle Drug Store exterior (and neighboring bicycle shop and grocers) decked out for visit of President McKinley and GAR encampment. Image of McKinley on building and in left display window; Teddy Roosevelt's portrait in right window. Emily, Gladys, Winnifred, Floyd stand in front. Condition note: Mottled emulsion.
Tuttle Drug Store exterior (and neighboring bicycle shop and grocers) decked out for visit of President McKinley and GAR encampment. Image of McKinley on building and in left display window.
Looking west down Lighthouse Avenue, Gosbey Rooming House visible. Line of schoolchildren crossing street during GAR parade.
Straight-on view of El Carmelo Hotel decked out for President McKinley's visit. Band stand, bunting, flags, stage in front garden. Condition note: Emulsion mottled throughout--hole at sky.
Trimmer Hill, at 6th Street & Laurel Avenue, with Dr. O.S. Trimmer and wife Rhoda standing in garden. Dr. Trimmer (1833 - 1915) was a physician and surgeon who came to Pacific Grove with his wife, Rhoda, in June 1888. Their niece, Emily, married photographer & pharmacist C.K. Tuttle, and the two households had the Grove's first telephone connection. Dr. Trimmer had the grand Queen Anne mansion built by George Quentel & Abraham Lee in 1893. Located in the "First Addition" section of PG, the home took on the name "Trimmer Hill" in the 1930s, when it became a boarding house. Dr. Trimmer was the first mayor and president of Pacific Grove's board of trustees from 1889 - 1908, and president of the Bank of Pacific Grove. Biographical information provided by Carol Mazur.
Board and batten one-story house with porch, round chimney: Address: 171. Hazel Lodge painted above entry, Large rose bush at left. Condition note: Small dots (mold?) throughout.
Front steps of Trimmer Hill, at Laurel & 6th. From left: Kimura (Kimmie) Kangelo, Dr. O.S. Trimmer, Rhoda Trimmer. Half of a giant clam shell (Tridacna) similar to those in baby pictures (#130a, #130b, #157, #158, and # 430) sits at top of stairs. Condition note: Scratches at left & right sides.
Front steps of Trimmer Hill. From left: Dr. O.S. Trimmer; Winnifred Tuttle; Dr. Trimmer's wife, Rhoda, seated in wicker rocker; Emily Tuttle; Gladys Tuttle in graduation gown and cap; unidentified woman. Dr. Trimmer's sign on front door.
Garden at side of house. From left: Dr. O.S. Trimmer sits in wicker rocking chair; infant Gladys Tuttle held by mother, Emily Tuttle; Mrs. Rhoda Trimmer seated with Floyd Tuttle on her lap; C.K. Tuttle stands with bowler hat. C. K. wears Maltese cross watch fob.
Gosbey's Boarding House, at 18th Street & Lighthouse Avenue, currently called Gosby House Bed & Breakfast. Several houses uphill on 18th Street are visible. Power pole at corner has street sign painted on it. See #473, #023, #024, and #568 for more views of this building.
Jewell Park roque (a game similar to croquet, but on concrete, with shorter mallets) court with game in progress. Shows glimpse of Jewell Cottage through trees. Shot from roof of El Carmelo Hotel, looking northwest. Also shows Grand Avenue.
Carnegie Public Library shortly after construction, looking straight at building. The Mission/Spanish Colonial-style building was designed by the McDougall Brothers, and built by Henry Chivers and the Granite Rock Company. It opened in 1908. View includes man in garden and palm tree.
Bieghle Haeberling wedding at First Methodist Church on Lighthouse Ave. Bride, groom, and 7 others in wedding party stand on church stage. Round arch behind. Two additional males in aisle. Woman plays organ at right. See #523, #545, #579, #580, and #581 for similar subjects.
Bieghle Haeberling wedding at First Methodist Church on Lighthouse Ave. Bride and groom stand on church platform. See #523, #545, #579, #580, and #581 for similar subjects.
Bieghle Haeberlin[g] wedding at First Methodist Church on Lighthouse Ave. Church interior, set up for wedding. Condition note: Bottom right corner missing. See #523, #545, #579, #580, and #581 for similar subjects.
Close in view of shoreline and rocks near Point Cabrillo (also known as China Point-the current site of Hopkins Marine Station), showing sweep of Chinese village.
Shoreline and rocks near Point Cabrillo (also known as China Point-the current site of Hopkins Marine Station), showing sweep of Chinese village and proximity to Pacific Grove houses. View extends to New Monterey, and includes Mariposa Hall and other early structures. Pat Hathaway notes that one of the Pacific Grove Retreat gates is visible at center of image.
Joss House, temple altar at Chinese village, which was located near current site of Hopkins Marine Station (China Point) until 1906.