The Mammoth Stables, located between Laurel and Pine at Grand, was built in 1884 by Joseph O. Johnson, one of the town's earliest residents. He came to Pacific Grove in the late 1870s, and became one of its most active businessmen, serving as the superintendent for the Pacific Improvement Company. He purchased the only livery stable in town from the PI Co., and replaced it with one of California's largest livery businesses. The tower stood 80 feet high, and the building could accommodate nearly 100 horses. In 1888, Johnson sold the business to H.E. Kent. On February 19, 1909, the stables burnt to the ground, and many horses were killed.
Aftermath of the Mammoth Stables fire, showing smoldering ruins. In 1888, Johnson sold the business to H.E. Kent. On February 19, 1909, the stables burnt to the ground, and many horses were killed.
Mammoth Stable employees pose for a group portrait. Joseph O. Johnson, owner, in light suit at front. Joe Gardner is standing at the left.
Grocery store on Grand Avenue, next door to Eardley & Appleton's Real Estate. Fruits displayed in cartons on wooden sidewalk. Chalkboard signs read: " Gilt edge Point Reyes Butter" and "Fruits and Berries." Two women stand in store doorway, and five men stand on sidewalk. Identified on back of photo as: Stanley Sisely, George Turner [who is included in 1896 MoCo voters' registry as a merchant], Duarte with derby, Eardley, Appleton.
Corner of Lighthouse and Grand avenues, looking south towards Mammoth Stables up Grand Avenue. Photo is taken from grounds of El Carmelo Hotel, with tree in foreground. Shows (from left): stable owner Johnson's elaborate house, one-story Tuttle Pharmacy, Wray building (Prim & Proper in 2006), stores on Grand Avenue, Mammoth Stables, El Carmelo Bakery, D.W. Lloyd Wholesale & Retail General Merchandise.
Post Office employees pose for group shot in front of large car, unidentified building in background. Two men wear caps with PO badges, and several of them wear Red Cross and V pinbacks, indicating this image was taken during WWI. Identified on back of photo as: (rear left to right) Elgin C. Hurlbert, Byron Douglas, Rena Willie, Mrs. Leeks, Lulu Griggs, Leslie Fritz, Frank Derby. Front row (left to right) John Orchard, John Searle, Walter McMann, Charlie Barker.
Advertising card for Del Mar Coffee Shop, located at 603 Lighthouse Avenue. "We specialize in a 50 cent sirloin steak that can't be beat / in an 85 cent complete dinner with a tenderloin steak / in a 50 cent noonday lunch / in abalone, salmon, sole, fresh every day. Back of card has a list of humorous ways "How to Keep from Growing Old."
Parade on Central Avenue, between First Street & Eardley Avenue. About 25-30 participants include men, women, and children, many of whom hold American flag. Woman at front of column holds multi-starred service banner, and man holds banner that reads, "Pacific Grove Lodge 234 / T.F.B. Two large houses along Central Avenue in background.
Interior of Roy Wright's hardware store on Lighthouse Avenue.
Roy Wright standing (with his hands on his hips) in front of his hardware & bicycle store at 586 Lighthouse Avenue. On sidewalk are some of the store's wares and a bike rack. Two boys look at car converted into delivery truck, while a spaniel dog (see #1017a) sits on the passenger seat.
Portrait of early Pacific Grove resident, Roy Wright with a spaniel dog sitting on a bamboo chair.In addition to his fabulously stocked hardware store on Lighthouse Avenue, Wright was PG fire chief from 1921-1936, and also played in the Peninsula Concert Band. Wright wears a pennant-shaped Pacific Grove High School pin on his right lapel and a flower on the left lapel.
The Pacific Grove Chamber of Commerce's octagonal building, which served as its offices in its early years. Here it sits in Jewell Park near the tennis courts, across the street from where the Museum's octagonal building was situated. The Chamber started as the Board of Trade in the late 1890s, and changed its name in 1915. The man standing in the doorway is probably A. "Gus" Jochmus.
Del Monte Properties Co. real estate & insurance office at 565 Lighthouse Avenue. Window at right features large framed map of Pacific Grove with advertisement for "The new staggered lot plan" and Paul V. Tuttle, N.C., architect.
Lighthouse Avenue form 17th Street, looking northeast towards (from left) Holman's early store and the Winston Hotel, E.B. Lewis' jewelry store, real estate office, Steiner's grocery store, and Bank of Pacific Grove.
A man & woman stand next to Cogswell Fountain in Jewell Park. The metal fountain was donated to the city by temperance advocate and San Francisco dentist, Dr. Henry D. Cogswell, who made his fortune in real estate in Gold Rush-era SF and founded Cogswell Polytechnic Institute. He planned to erect water fountain/statues in cities across America in the 1880s. He hoped to build one fountain for every 100 saloons-offering the option for passersby to drink water instead of alcohol. Many of the fountains were topped with a statue of Dr. Cogswell himself, and some were defaced or removed by people who either rejected his message or found the statues unaesthetic. Several more, including the PG fountain, were melted down during WWII metal drives
Horse and dog drinking fountain located on Lighthouse Avenue (between Fountain and Grand avenues). The fountain was near the Pacific Improvement Co.'s real estate office, and street side from the large garden in front of the El Carmelo Hotel.
Pacific Grove Hotel (earlier known as El Carmelo Hotel) between Grand & Fountain and Lighthouse & Central (Grove) with painting crew from Phillips and Lawrey, Pacific Grove. Looking down Fountain Avenue, streetcar rails are visible, as are overhead wires and electrical poles. Men are on scaffolding at building. Shadow across Fountain Avenue from fire bell tower. Site of where Holman building stands in 2006.
Pacific Grove Hotel (earlier known as El Carmelo Hotel) between Grand & Fountain and Lighthouse & Central (Grove). Image is in color, and shows large flag on roof and line of cars on driveway.
Looking up Grand Avenue towards the Mammoth Stables (at Laurel Avenue). The El Carmelo Hotel and its cottages are in the foreground.
The El Carmelo Hotel, looking northwest across front porch and driveway towards the hotel's cottages on Grand Avenue.
Oval panoramic view of downtown Pacific Grove, taken from roof of Mammoth Stables on Laurel Avenue. Shows many buildings, including on Lighthouse Avenue (from left): First Methodist Church; Winston Hotel; Odd Fellows Hall with Steiner grocery store. At Lovers Point: Hopkins Seaside Laboratory. At Jewell Park: tennis courts. On Lighthouse Ave.: Pacific Improvement office; El Carmelo Hotel. Monterey Bay in background. Also shows streetcar on Lighthouse Avenue.
Panoramic view of lighthouse Avenue (between 18th Street and Forest Avenue). Shows (from left): Methodist Church; Grove Theatre; Winston Hotel; Sprouse-Reitz store. Many cars parked diagonally in foreground.
Municipal swimming pool at Lovers Point. The pool was originally funded by a judgment against bathhouse owner Mattie McDougal. She barred the public's access to the beach by locking the gate to the bathhouse, and Dr. Julia Platt (who became mayor shortly thereafter) opened it by force. The legal battle that ensued eventually provided funding for the pool. A new bathhouse was built in 1949.
Lucie A. Chase and councilman & Museum Trustee Benjamin Lee at the laying of the Museum's cornerstone in 1932. Lucie Chase was born on December 21, 1842 in Plainfield, New Hampshire. She lived in New York City, Colorado Springs, and Portland before moving to Pacific Grove in 1901 with her husband, Henry. They expanded what was then know as the Page cottage at Fountain & Oceanview avenues into the grand Seven Gables. Mrs. Chase was heavily involved in her community, and helped form the Woman's Civic Improvement Club, an organization whose varied work ranged from placing street signs and trash receptacles to preventing cruelty to animals.
She was an active supporter of the Mayflower Congregational Church. Her philanthropy also extended to the Museum. In 1932, Mrs. Chase made a gift of the first wing of the current Museum building to the citizens of Pacific Grove. She called the September day when the cornerstone was laid the happiest day of her life. The Museum's opening ceremony coincided with her 90th birthday.
Holman family gathered around front porch of their home at 769 Lighthouse Avenue. At left is derby-hatted Rensselaer Luther Holman. The house was built in 1889, and was originally this Victorian style, and was later stuccoed over to make it Spanish style. The Holman family were pioneer merchants in Pacific Grove, and owned Holman's Department Store. The store was started in 1891, when R. Luther Holman bought Towle's dry goods store on Lighthouse Avenue near 17th Street. By 1924, when the store moved over two blocks to the new location, son Wilford Holman was in charge of operations. Holman's Department Store was the largest store on the Pacific coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco, and Highway 68, also known as the Holman Highway, was built in part to bring customers to the establishment.
Portrait of Rensselaer Luther Holman, founder of Holman's Department Store.
Thirteen people pose outside of early Pacific Grove house.
Hyde Cottage, originally at 138 Forest Avenue, next to Seven Gables. Moved to 14th Street & Laurel Avenue, and later to David Avenue in New Monterey. Several family members pose in front of house, including little girl with wagon.
Elliott family on front steps of their house. The house faced Lighthouse Avenue, and side street to left is Walnut (info from Philoma Goldsworthy). Girl on top step is Ethel Elliott. 1905 Perry Directory lists Joseph T. Elliott living at 863 Lighthouse Avenue.
House at 123 Forest Avenue, built in 1886 for Carrie L. Roe, a physician. By 1888, the Rich family (from Boston) lived here. Mr. Rich (leaning on fence to right of house) became town marshal in 1889, when Pacific Grove was incorporated.
n foreground (right) is house at 123 Forest Avenue, built in 1886 for Carrie L. Roe, a physician. By 1888, the Rich family (from Boston) lived here. To the left is the Wilber house, built in 1885.View of houses on the east side of Forest Avenue continues towards Lovers Point in background. Also shows wooden sidewalk.
THE CK TUTTLE COLLECTION
Approximately 700 photographs from the late 19th and early 20th century by Charles Kirkham Tuttle, a Pacific Grove pharmacist. The images document the formative years of Pacific Grove's history more...
High-quality reproductions of most of these images are available for purchase. To order images, please visit the Use and Reproduction page for prices and order form. If you are interested in reproducing images from the Museum's collections in a publication, please refer to the Use and Reproduction page for fee schedule, permission, and conditions of use information.
Reproduction of these images on other websites is prohibited without express permission.
Information in the annotations to the images on these webpages are derived from a number of sources, including information in the Museum's archives.