19th- & 20th-Century Exteriors

Whitewashed Point Pinos Lighthouse from the back with out-building, fence, and hitching post. Hatted man in yard. According to Lighthouse Historian Jerry McCaffery, Allen Luce was the lighthouse keeper at the time, and Luce's records indicate that the entire building was whitewashed by October 20, 1891. Pat Hathaway notes that this photo is probably the work of C.W.J. Johnson, Tuttle's photography mentor.
Close-up of whitewashed Point Pinos Lighthouse from the back with out-building, fence, and hitching post. According to Lighthouse Historian Jerry McCaffery, Allen Luce was the lighthouse keeper at the time, and Luce's records indicate that the entire building was whitewashed by October 20, 1891. Pat Hathaway notes that this photo is probably the work of C.W.J. Johnson, Tuttle's photography mentor.
Far shot of Point Pinos Lighthouse from the back gate. Flagpole at center, and several large outbuildings to right. At far right, loaded cart visible. Tuttle's daughter stands in unpaved road.
Far shot of Point Pinos Lighthouse from the back gate. Flagpole at center, and several large outbuildings to right. At far right, loaded cart visible.
North side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing filtered view of light tower through trees.
North side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, close-up from ground level, showing flower bed of calla lilies.
North side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, framed by tree branches.
3/4 view of north & east sides of Point Pinos Lighthouse.
Close-up of west (seaward) side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing entry porch and light tower.
Close-up of mid section of east side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing small shelf and exhaust pipe on lean-to section, and coiled hose hanging on light tower.
West (seaward) side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, obscured by row of large shrubs (aka Emily Fish's hedge).
Far shot of east (back) of Point Pinos Lighthouse, taken from garden of Coast Guard house garden. Shows rock-lined roadway, picket fence, and garden in foreground.
Seaward (west) front of Point Pinos Lighthouse obscured by hedge, surrounded by open-slat fence. Two women in large hats pose in front of arched picket gate, near a cannon. Donor Muriel Pyburn's note accompanying the image reads: "This snapshot was probably taken between 1902 and 1909. At that time, my mother's family lived in San Jose and every summer some of the girls in the family came to Pacific Grove to spend vacation time. Note that some of the plants in front of the fence have wire "cages" around them, that the ladies (unknown) are standing by the canon. Is that the barn at the right of the picture? Here is the cypress hedge planted by Mrs. Fish."
Hand-tinted lithograph showing Point Pinos Lighthouse from back (east). Shows unpainted south wall with one window, open-slat fence extending around west (seaward) side, picket fence around back (east) side, wooden lean-to addition at back extends to south wall, outbuilding to north with windmill and ladder leaning, doghouse in front of shed.
Same image as #835. Hand-tinted lithograph showing Point Pinos Lighthouse from back (east). Shows unpainted south wall with one window, open-slat fence extending around west (seaward) side, picket fence around back (east) side, wooden lean-to addition at back extends to south wall, outbuilding to north with windmill and ladder leaning, doghouse in front of shed. Condition note: Torn at top left corner. "Pacific Grove Calif" written in fountain pen along right edge.
Point Pinos Lightouse shown from unpaved tree-framed road, looking at southeast view. South wall has window added about 1900, and two outbuildings are (from left) carpenter's shop and worker's quarters.
Point Pinos Lightouse shown from unpaved tree-framed road, looking at southeast view. South wall has window added about 1900, and two outbuildings are (from left) carpenter's shop and worker's quarters.
Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing east side from unpaved road (which is being crossed by chicken). South chimney has beehive-shaped pipe, and there is a wood box just east of the chimney.
Point Pinos Lighthouse, shot from above. Shows perspective looking across east (back) side of building, with dormer windows (added c. 1937) and light tower. View across Pacific Grove Golf Links and Monterey Bay in background.
Point Pinos Lighthouse from west (seaward, front) side, partially obscured by thick hedge. Surrounded by open-slat fence with picket gate. Cannon sits to left of gate.
3/4 view of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing southeast corner of building. M-shaped chimney caps on both sides, as well as freestanding pipe with same M-shaped cap. Postcard marked "801 Lighthouse Pacific Grove, Calif. Garden in back of Lighthouse surrounded by chicken wire . Also visible in area to left of Lighthouse: fountain, table, birdcage, and chair.
Artwork of Point Pinos Lighthouse by Ferdinand Bergdorf (1881-1975), showing building's northeast side.
Southeast 3/4 view of Point Pinos Lighthouse shows M-shaped chimney caps, dormer windows, mast-like flagpole, and T.V. antenna to north of building. Also includes small cinder-block structure at far left side of image.
Captain & Mrs. Peter C. Nelson stand on the lawn behind the Point Pinos Lighthouse. Eagle atop flagpole, freestanding pipe with same "M" configuration as chimneys.
East side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing coiled hose on light tower rail. German shepherd dog sits near back door, and path is lined with white-washed rocks.
Northeast 3/4 view of Point Pinos Lighthouse showing ice plant in foreground. Lighthouse has two supplemental pipes in back, in addition to two M-shaped chimney caps. Grounds are surrounded by open-slat fencing; arrow points to right on picket gate. Light is shielded by curtain, and tower has antenna and lightning rod.
Front or seaward (northwest) view of Point Pinos. Building is partially obscured by hedge with large trunks, behind open-slat fence. M-shaped chimney caps, antenna on light tower, and watchroom window are visible. Flagpole at left side of image.
Front or seaward (northwest) view of Point Pinos. Building is partially obscured by hedge with large trunks, behind open-slat fence. M-shaped chimney caps and watch room window are visible. Top of light tower cut off.
Close-up of back (southeast) side of Point Pinos Lighthouse. Stool on lawn, white object in foreground. Freestanding pipe in back, partially obscured by succulent plant. Back garden surrounded by dark fencing.
East (back) side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing whitewashed stones lining road in foreground. This tree-framed image was made by then-Director of Pacific Grove Museum of Natural History, Vern Yadon.
East (back) side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, partially obscured by hedge, showing dormer windows, M-shaped chimney caps, and antenna on light tower.
Seaward (west) side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing antenna on light tower, flag at half-staff, M-shaped chimney caps, thick hedge with arched foliage over dark picket gate surrounded by whitewashed open-slat fencing.
Single photo from stereo card shows southeast side of Point Pinos Lighthouse. Unpainted walls indicate it is before may, 1892, when Light keeper Allen Luce recorded whitewashing the walls. Lean-to in back was extended to south (left) wall c. 1890. Back door has rounded arch top. Lot is surrounded by combination of slat and picket fence. Man standing on light tower may be Allen Luce. Also have copy negative.
Photo with arched matting shows southeast side of unpainted Point Pinos Lighthouse, surrounded by open-slat fencing. Back door of lean-to has pointed arch top. Dog house sits in front of small out-building at right side of image. Part of wooden horse-tethering rail at right side of image.
Point Pinos Lighthouse postcard shows building's southeast side from road. Surrounded by open-slat fencing, building has second window on south (left) side added c. 1900, full lean-to in back (completed c. 1907), two outbuildings, and flagpole. South chimney has tall pipe.
East side of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing streamlined garden area.
Postcard of back of Point Pinos Lighthouse, showing a structure to the left (south) of the building. A T.V. antenna is also visible on the right side of the tower, and the chimney caps have M-shaped caps. Directional sign sits in foreground, where there is no iceplant.
Aerial of Lighthouse Reservation and surrounding area, including NOAA building, barracks, and Coast Guard quarters.
Aerial of Lighthouse Reservation and surrounding area, including El Carmelo Cemetery and Coast Guard quarters.
Aerial of Lighthouse Reservation and surrounding area, including barracks, Coast Guard quarters, part of the Pacific Grove Municipal Golf Links, and El Carmelo Cemetery, including Little Chapel by the Sea.
Point Pinos Lighthouse from the seaward side, showing ice plant in foreground, and barracks.
Captain & Mrs. Peter C. Nelson stand in the garden adjacent to the Point Pinos Lighthouse. Large dahlia in foreground.
Floor plan drawing of Point Pinos Lighthouse. Original in the National Archives. Shows three levels: attic, parlor & porch, cellar. Also have negative.
Elevation drawing of Point Pinos Lighthouse (also Point Loma and Santa Barbara. Filed 1854. Original in the National Archives. Shows three levels: attic, parlor & porch, cellar. Also have negative.
Copy of primitive drawing of the Point Pinos Lighthouse. Original in the National Archives (photo # 26-LG-56-96. Shows lighthouse surrounded by haystacks, grazing animals.
Entry gate to Point Pinos Lighthouse Reserve. Arched wooden sign over entry reads, "United States Coast Guard / Point Pinos." Sign with station visiting hours posted on left wooden support. Road leading to Lighthouse and the building itself are also visible.
Front (seaward, west) view of the Point Pinos Lighthouse, with hedge obscuring first floor. Surrounded by open-slat fence.
Unpaved road leading to Lighthouse (not visible) surrounded by trees and open-slat fencing. Looks like railroad crossing sign in background.