Maps & Prints

Copy of letter from Secretary of the Treasury James Guthrie (dated January 4, 1856) sent to Mrs. Charlotte A Layton, appointing her keeper of the Point Pinos Lighthouse. Her husband had served as the Lighthouse's first keeper, from 1853-1855, and Charlotte took over upon his death, serving as keeper from 1856-1860.
Hand-tinted lithograph showing Point Pinos Lighthouse from back (east). Shows unpainted south wall with one window, open-slat fence extending around west (seaward) side, picket fence around back (east) side, wooden lean-to addition at back extends to south wall, outbuilding to north with windmill and ladder leaning, doghouse in front of shed.
Same image as #835. Hand-tinted lithograph showing Point Pinos Lighthouse from back (east). Shows unpainted south wall with one window, open-slat fence extending around west (seaward) side, picket fence around back (east) side, wooden lean-to addition at back extends to south wall, outbuilding to north with windmill and ladder leaning, doghouse in front of shed. Condition note: Torn at top left corner. "Pacific Grove Calif" written in fountain pen along right edge.
Artwork of Point Pinos Lighthouse by Ferdinand Bergdorf (1881-1975), showing building's northeast side.
Map of Point Pinos originally from 1851, by E. Gilman, draughtsman & A.D. Bache, supervisor. Revised on October 10, 1871 by L.H. Beard. Section X, U.S. Coast Survey 1/10,000 scale. Original in the National Archives. Museum also has negative.
Floor plan drawing of Point Pinos Lighthouse. Original in the National Archives. Shows three levels: attic, parlor & porch, cellar. Also have negative.
Elevation drawing of Point Pinos Lighthouse (also Point Loma and Santa Barbara. Filed 1854. Original in the National Archives. Shows three levels: attic, parlor & porch, cellar. Also have negative.
Copy of primitive drawing of the Point Pinos Lighthouse. Original in the National Archives (photo # 26-LG-56-96. Shows lighthouse surrounded by haystacks, grazing animals.