Outside Pacific Grove & Misc

Copy of ink drawing of ruined mission. Notation on artwork reads: "Carmel Mission before Restoration / from a sketch by William Keith, also marked E. L. Pierce. Additional artwork on mat.
Saint John's Chapel at Del Monte (moved in 1957 to 1490 Mark Thomas Drive, Monterey). Designed by architect Ernest Coxhead; built 1891. Episcopal church founded by C.P. Huntington and C.H. Crocker. Shows elaborate arch with eagle emblem over gate, white fence. Signed "Tuttle" in lower right corner. Similar images: #105, #111, and #113.
Copy photo of slab of Cypress wood. Looks like same piece of wood in images #108 and #270.
Saint John's Chapel at Del Monte (moved in 1957 to 1490 Mark Thomas Drive, Monterey). Designed by architect Ernest Coxhead; built 1891. Episcopal church founded by C.P. Huntington and C.H. Crocker. Shows elaborate arch with eagle emblem over gate, white fence. Signed "Tuttle" in lower right corner. Similar images: #105, #111, and #113.
Copy photo of stained front page of Ulster County Gazette (New York State), Vol. 2, No. 88, Saturday, January 4, 1800. Story on the death of George Washington on page 2 (see image #510).
Saint John's Chapel at Del Monte (moved in 1957 to 1490 Mark Thomas Drive, Monterey). Designed by architect Ernest Coxhead; built 1891. Episcopal church founded by C.P. Huntington and C.H. Crocker. Shows elaborate arch with eagle emblem over gate, white fence. Signed "Tuttle" in lower right corner. Similar images: #105, #111, and #113.
Close up of Ingham family marker, which reads: "Mary Justina wife of Geo. F. Ingham / Jan. 3 1891 / 38 yrs 11 mo 27 days / Native of Stoughton, Mass." Not at El Carmelo Cemetery.
Forest glen with large white rock and stream, probably the Big Sur River. Tuttle marked the negative sleeve, "San Jose Creek," probably refering to an area now called Rancho San Carlos, though the Big Sur location seems more likely. Condition note: Scan looks better than print, which is flat. Matches image of rock in Big Sur supplied by Pat Hathaway.
Old Mexican Jail, downtown Monterey. Built in 1806. Probably a copy photo. Pat Hathaway identifies this as the work of photographer C.W. J. Johnson.
Picket fence, grave(?) marker: Gen. P.E. Connor(?), earth mounded, vine-covered object.
Thatch-covered pavilion, Japanese-style tiled roof at right, several people in picture, Japanese garden ornaments. Golden Gate Park, San Francisco.
Curved road, house and garden in background.
Three people stand at foot of grape-crushing / wine-making statue. Located in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco. Looks like Mrs. O.S. Trimmer tasting from cup.
Close-up, slab of wood. "Monterey Cypress, cut for tree rings." Looks like same piece of wood in images #108 and #270.
Native American woman near porch pulls on rope. Anglo woman looks on, young boy looks at camera. Rustic farm, well, and chaparral-covered mountains in background. Woman ringing bell? Same location in images #275, #276, #277, and #279.
Eight children, six donkeys at rustic farm. Same location in images #275, #276, #277, and #279.
Native American man near porch holds watermelon. Two pigs, rustic farm, windmill, and chaparral-covered mountains in background. Rope that woman pulled in image #275 wrapped around fencepost. Same location in images #275, #276, #277, and #279.
Eight children, six donkeys at rustic farm. Condition note: Crack across bottom right. Same location in images #275, #276, #277, and #279.
Industrial shed, horses, laborers in work clothes, machinery. Looks like commercial vegetable harvesting. Condition note: Negative dark.
Copy photo of Carmel Mission. Pat Hathaway identifies the original photo is by Carleton E. Watkins, c1880.
Stone statue of Father Serra and boat. Erected by Jane Stanford in 1891. Commemorates the June 3, 1770 landing of Father Serra. Located on Presidio in Monterey. Condition note: Scan much better than print. Bottom left corner missing from negative, taped, out of focus.
Oak stump with some foliage, and a white wooden cross at right. This was called the Vizcaino-Serra Oak, and marked the site where Sebastian Vizcaino said Mass in 1602 and Father Serra said Mass in 1770. The tree was also dubbed "The Charter Tree," and died around 1904. Part of the tree was later made into a chair and another part was placed behind the Royal Presidio Chapel in Monterey. The site is now beneath Lighthouse Avenue, but a nearby Celtic cross-on Pacific Street near the gate to the Presidio-has replaced the wooden cross. Condition note: Flat image, double exposure. Identified by Pat Hathaway. Also see entry in Clark's Monterey County Place Names for more info.
Four women in horse-drawn carriage on expanse in front of Spreckels mansion in Spreckels (near Salinas, CA). Identified by Pat Hathaway.
According to Pebble Beach Archivist Neal Hotelling, this is "the Del Monte Club House, which was on the Hotel Del Monte Grounds along a path between the Hotel and golf course. The Swiss-Gothic club house featured billiards and bowling and was once a once popular stop." Girl with bicycle stands out front. Flagpole on roof.
View of a cemetery (not El Carmelo), centered on Ingham family plot. Large marker reads: "Mary Justina wife of Geo. F. Ingham / Jan. 3 1891 / 38 yrs 11 mo 27 days / Native of Stoughton, Mass." Fresh flowers on small marker to left.
View of a cemetery (not El Carmelo), centered on Ingham family plot. Large marker reads: "Mary Justina wife of Geo. F. Ingham / Jan. 3 1891 / 38 yrs 11 mo 27 days / Native of Stoughton, Mass." Fresh flowers on small marker to left.
Copy photo of stained page 2 of Ulster County Gazette (New York State), Vol. 2, No. 88, Saturday, January 4, 1800. Story on the death of George Washington at bottom right. See #112 for front page of newspaper. Condition note: Cracked negative, taped.
Presidio of Monterey, showing sweeping view of Monterey Bay. Canons in foreground, statue of Father Junipero Serra's landing near center of image, in distance. Shows various wharfs, buildings in Monterey, workers' houses, railroad wharf. See image #342 for close up of Serra statue.
Copy photo of "Echo" car of the Scenic Mount Lowe Railway on the Incline (leading up to Mount Lowe, above the San Gabriel Valley near Pasadena, in southern California. Built by David J. Macpherson and Professor Thaddeus Lowe. Last run was in 1937. Looks like Tuttle family members on board.